Ahhh! Summertime…sun, sand and water!
Time to enjoy being outside especially after most of us have been restricted to time inside our homes. I am focusing on all the fun of summer which brings me to 5 Allergy Tips for Summer to help ensure a safe and happy summer.
1. Make sure you have 2 auto-injectors of epinephrine with you at all times. Keep them stored within the temperature range stated on your auto-injector(s). You can store them in an insulated bag with a cooler pack or purchase a pouch/carrier designed specifically for auto-injectors.
2. Sunscreen! Spokin has created a list of allergy friendly sunscreens. Their link is included at the end of this post. As with any product, make sure you confirm the ingredients are safe for you and your familys’ allergen needs.
3. Go To Summer Bag: Place your items in a labeled Ziploc bag or fun carry pouch that is waterproof or water resistant. Make sure you have your auto-injector(s) of epinephrine on hand (ideally 2) in this bag or stored safely that you always take with you.
- Medical identification card with all pertinent medical info, emergency plan and phone numbers.
- Bug Spray
- Lip balm with SPF
- Anti-Itch Ointment for those pesky bug bites or rashes
- Sunburn Cream
- Band Aids (that are safe for those with allergies or sensitivities to latex. Note that some band aids have already incorporated medications or lotions onto their pads.
- Medications you may require for your health needs. A convenient item to have on hand are premeasured oral doses of Benadryl.
- Allergy Friendly Snack(s)
- Supplies related to COVID-19 such as:
Hand Sanitizer, Wipes, Gloves and an extra Face Mask.
Ideally, each member of your family can have their own summer stocked bag.
4. Medical Alert Bracelet: Having a waterproof option is perfect for summer water fun. Lauren’s Hope offers waterproof bracelets and many other designs for everyone.
5. Labels! Clearly identifying your allergies is important. Especially if you are providing a lunch or snack for a child to take with them to a playdate or camp. Lil Allergy Advocate has fun options as well as waterproof stickers!
- Lauren’s Hope: Medical Bracelets with waterproof options:
- Spokin: A List of Allergy Friendly Sunblocks:
- Lil Allergy Advocate: Waterproof Labels, Pins, Tags and Bags